Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Mr friend Heidi just wrote about her personal challenge to give up chocolate for Lent this year. No, we are not Catholic- but I have always thought that this is a good idea. Making a personal and spiritual committment to give up something that will inevitably make you better for a long enough space of time that it could actually become an ingrained habit seems like a genius idea- especially if everyone does it together and can offer support. I remember my band director doing this in high school, and even tried it one year. I gave up candy. I made sure to specify to myself that it was candy that I was giving up so that I could still have all the cookies and cakes I wanted. . .

My aunt is also doing some challenge with a friend to give up refined sugar. Theirs seems more like a competition where as soon as one cracks, the other can binge again. I also like that idea, but Ross won't challenge me- he knows I would win! :)

Well, I have decided to join Heidi, and give up something that Ross and I have decided to try and cut out of our diet anyway- carbonation. Really, carbonation is terrible for you! It is yummy and refreshing, but completely destructive to your body. We have cut down a lot- especially considering Ross likes soda with EVERY meal and EVERY snack. We have only had it with occasional meals, celebrations, and really bad head aches.

I wanted to cut down on carbonation partly because of the health benefits, partly for the fact that carbonation wreaks havoc on any weight-loss diet, but mostly because my mother has a condition that does not allow her to have any carbonation of any sort without terrible cramps and horrible nausea. We are fairly certain it is a gall bladder problem, but she has altered her diet in a way that makes it possile for her to avoid a surgery to remove the gall bladder. Major self-control! She is amazing! With all of the problems I have had with bladder and kidney infections, I have wondered if maybe I could have some of the same problems in a less extensive form. If that is true- I would like it to stay where it is at so that I don't have to give up my french fries and potato chips (my mom has also had to give up all fried foods)- at least not until next year's Lent. . .

I hereby vow to not drink any carbonated beverage of any sort (including slurpees) for the next 40 days. Does anybody else want to join me and give up one of their vices?

5 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I love being mentioned on people's blogs. It's day 1 and I'm already craving chocolate. Hopefully I won't make up too much for it with other treats. Good luck! Your teeth will thank you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I'm obsessively indulgent enough about anything to do this. I could say I would give up chocolate but it's not that big of a deal. I could say I would give up pizza but WHO DOES THAT!?

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Ross said he was gonna give up pizza just to deter me from having it. He was mad when I told him I would be fine with making him a salad while I ate his share.

Carrie said...

Wow, your aunt must be AMAZING!!! I think no carbonation is an awesome idea...Spencer kicked it for a couple years because of cross-country!

Unknown said...

Ummmm..why give up slurpees? They are delicious and non-carbonated! I guess you could still have icees...I don't see where you've give up those.