Monday, February 23, 2009

Books for January

Ross asked me a few weeks ago how many books I had read in 2008. I tried to remember all the books I had read. After I hit 150 on my count, Ross said he didn't believe me. That was frustrating because I know I was missing a lot. This year, I have decided to keep better track of all the books that take up my spare time. I know that the count will be much lower this year than last year as I will be spending a large portion of my regular reading time working on my lesson plans. I know it is almost the end of February, but here is my list for January.


Books I Read For My Job:

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
I expected to hate this- but I did not. It was graphic and the writing was, well, a little awkward throughout. I found the plot to be a little contrived- especially Langdon's presence there. I did enjoy it, however, and found more than enough underlying themes to pop out some great lesson plans for it.


The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare
I love this play. It is historical and poetic and violent and symbolic. I always have a crush on Marc Antony, and I find it interesting how Shakespeare can paint him so bold and cunning in Caesar, and so weak and foolish in Cleopatra. I cry when Brutus falls on his sword every time- poor guy. What a tormented life he must have had. I am a Roman history buff- it is all so fascinating.


Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen
This was a fast read, and I pumped out this lesson plan faster than any other I have written. I think it had a little something to do with the fact that I have now read that dear book about 25 times, and no, I am not overexagerating. Oh Mr. Darcy- why are you so kind to Wickham and that slutty Lydia. I always wish that he will banish them or something, but his mercy always wins out.


The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
One of the best books of all time. One of the best authors of all time. Remember how I named one of my daughters after the main character in A Little Princess? I find myself relating to Mary and getting a little crush on Dickon and his Yorkshire accent. I cry myself silly in many different places including, but not limited to, the part where Ben Weatherstaff explains his promise to Lily, the part when Colin stands, the part where Mary notices that the picture of Colin's mother has been uncovered, and of course, the last page where the master and his son are seen walking side by side together.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

This is my favorite of this series. I find that Rowling and her power of description really take flight here, especially in the graveyard scene. I love the intricasies of the plot, and the little side stories like Rita Skeeter and SPEW.

Books Read in My Special Me-Time Place (AKA- the books read in the bathroom)

Building the Leader in Yourself by some guy

Building the Leaders Around You by the same guy as the last book

Obviously, I was not too terribly impressed with those. Way too many sports analogies for me. Ross liked them though, so they must be targetd more to males.

The Caterbury Tales by Geoffery Chaucer

This was not nearly as entertaining as I remember it being in college. I love the narration, and the introduction for the wife of Bath. Chuacer was as witty as ever, but I wasn't as drawn to it as I was when reading it for my British Lit. class. This definitely took me the longest to read of all the books I read this month.

The Voyage of the Frog by Gary Paulsen

This was a typical Paulsen read. A survival story- only this one was set at sea on a small schooner. It was informational, and one that pre-teen boys would love. I found it well worth the dollar I paid for it in my little sister's book order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOLY BOOKS! I knew you liked to read but never realized it until I went to your house and saw your massively awesome book collection. You amaze me!