Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sara Bear Turns One

February 5th was Sara's birthday. I cried. On the 8th, after I had finished weeping over the rapid pace of my baby's life, we invited some family and friends to come and join in the festivities of her birthday. Usually when we invite people to come out to our house, most of the people invited do not show up for various reasons (excuses). It is too far, they are busy, they have to study, they are too tired, they have no gas, they don't really love me, etc. For this reason, Ross and I felt fairly safe in inviting pretty much everyone we have ever met to come out to our humble abode to eat cake and potatoes. They all came! It was awesome!! Not one single invited person opted out of this particular celebration! We felt very happy to have so many visitors, and I felt bad that we did not have quite enough food to go around. It was a fun day, and we are grateful for all those who came to share with us in this monumental step for me. . .err. . . Sara.

This picture is out of order- but I thought it was a cute one of Emma enjoying Sara's booty. As mentioned, we served baked potatoes (not enough of them. . . sorry) along with a very nice green salad provided by my lovely mother.
This is Jake. He is my nephew and I always have to remind myself that I am an aunt when I see him. I pretty much consider him one of my cousins since he is the same age as a large handful of my Wallace cousins. We play Guitar Hero together, and he ROCKS!
Sara was a little overwhelmed by all the people and noise- but she loved her potato roll with jam on it. (Also, the potato rolls were heavenly thanks to the recipe I stole from Brittany (Hatch) Bowen's recipe blog.)
Yes, this is my dad is flipping me off for taking his picture. Nothin' but love in our family! :)
"Mom, Dad, pretend you like each other." Emma, Sam, Max (one of the cutest kids in creation!), Jake.
Dana. I am not sure how she managed to snag that entire couch when it was pretty much standing room only!
Caulene and Heather.
Nate and Carrie.
Sara was afraid of her cake and was confused as to what to do about the candle.
Emma helped.
She SCREAMED when I took it away to cut a slice for her. It was a pretty mean trick. . .
Ever the fastidious lady, Sara preferred a fork to the bare handed approach.
Max ate apporximately 12 pieces of cake because he would eat the left overs on all of the abandoned plates.
Remember when I called her a lady. . .
A rousing game of "Hit the Balloon Around" was enjoyed while we waited for all of the eating to wind down. It was awesome.
Only very few valuables and one small child were harmed in this particular match- not bad statistics I would say! :)
When the potatoes were gone and the cake was cleaned up, we had presents. Emma was a great helper and was probably more excited about the whole process than Sara was. Sara caught on though, when she realized what was hidden in all the pretty bags.
The Wish List was obviously read and taken into consideration, because Sara got no toys, and lots of fun books! It was great, and I was very thankful for the consideration put into her presents. Sara is loved!
The amazing part was that not one book was doubled at all. She got some books with cool features to0- ie: shiny glitter, squeaker buttons, flaps that move, and one with moving animation as the page is turned. Very cool!
Ross and I got her cups. We are awesome parents like that. . .
By the end, all the kids in the house were lending a hand. It was really fun!
I also got a large addition to my collection of cute gift bags. Don't be too surprised or offended if your next gift from me comes in one of the bags you see. I have only ever in my life bought 2 gift bags. The rest have all been recycled. I am cheap like that- blame my mom! :)
Ross and I also got her some of her favorite Sweet Potato Poofs. They are fun little snacks that contain real fruits and vegetables and are laced with Baby Crack. Look at her ripping into the package just barely out of the gift bag!
Happy Birthday Bear! We love you, even if you are an old lady toddler now!
This is Emma reading the Dog Book. Each page is full with fun stuff like samples of fur, lifted flaps, and moving parts like the dog in the bath who shakes his head, and the pug by the tree who lifts his leg. "All dogs poop. All dogs pee." No, I am not kidding! It is a very educational piece of children's literature, and we love it!
When all the guests had left, and the birthday girls (Emma thanked me for all of her birthday books a number of times. "Mom, I love my birthday books, and Sara does too.") were busy watching Space Buddies (thanks Dad- it is super cute and just the right amount of hypnotical), Ross congratulated me for a party well done with a few of these? Are you jealous? You should be!

4 comments:

Tracie said...

Happy birthday Sara!

Tracie said...

I forgot to mention that I also never buy gift bags. I'm still using gift bags from my wedding two and a half years ago. Recycling is the best!

emily said...

HAPPY HIRTHDAY SARA!! :D you're the most amazing mom EVER, manda! :D i heart you! :D

Anonymous said...

Honestly the best baby's party I've ever been to. I heart potatoes and salad and cake! It was fantastic!