Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our Weekend Getaway

This weekend Ross and I kept our New Year's resolution by having our first 'Over Night'. My dear friend Brittany offered to watch the girls for us while we ran away to Salt Lake. It was a lot of fun. We played in the pool at the hotel, and then played in the room at the hotel. We then got all dolled up to use our gift certificates to The Star of India. That is right, Ross and I lost our Indian food virginity.

It was good.
There were elephants.
It was spicy! :)
He was dashing!
When we got back to the hotel, I got some frantic IM's from Brittany (whose phone was dead, and heart was broken- it had been a bad day for her!) telling me that Sara had been screaming since we had left. I told her to put Sara in crib and let her cry herself to sleep, which happened in about 10 minutes. At that point, Emma had already been fed and put to bed- which was amazing in and of itself, especially since Sara was crying the whole time. Brittany did an amazing job!
After enjoying some sorely missed MSNBC (Oh cable TV, sometimes we do miss certain parts of you) and sleeping for a few hours, I woke up to a little voice telling me to come home and get Sara. Ross was entirely patient with my mommy-stress, and happily drove us back home where we found the house dark and quiet- just as it should be. At that point it was about an hour before Sara usually wakes up for an early morning feeding/occasional screaming fest. Ross and I decided to snuggle on our couch and wait to hear some signs of wakage from Sara's room, and then steal away with her before Brittany woke up. We planned to leave a note and Ross's phone for her to find after a nice long sleep without our demon child wreaking any more havoc on her fragile psyche.
Our plan didn't work. Brittany awaoke from an odd dream and came downstairs to get online for a while. (Yet another reason we are friends- I do a LOT of my online work and mindless surfing in the middle of the night!) We were discovered. We spent a good 10 minutes aplogizing back and forth- me for my screaming child, and putting on her the burden of watching my children overnight for free after she had found out she had a terribly high price to pay for an unexpected car repair, and her for being what she thought was a bad babysitter.
Let me set the record straight right here. Brittany is a wonderful babysitter! Emma LOVES her and has been asking to go play with Brittany ever since she left. Sara was sick and grumpy, and completely unwilling to let anything soothe her besides exhaustion and breast-milk. Those are two things that Brittany would not have been able to provide no matter how good of a day she had experienced before showing up at my doorstep.
Also- Ross and I had a MARVELOUS time on our over-night, and were not one bit upset about coming back to get Sara. We understood- we live with the girl! We know how tiresome she can be, and she is ours! We had a good 12 hours of child-free enjoyment, and we milked every last second of it- and yes, I VERY MUCH include the hours we slept in the hotel room, and the hour we snuggled on the couch together while recounting silly memories of our dating years. Don't tell my mom, but that was not the first time we had ever snuggled on a couch while not wanting to wake up the tenants in the master bedroom. . . :)
Anyway- when I heard Sara start to rustle about, I went in and got her dressed, and we headed back to the hotel. Sara enoyed her much needed breastmilk, and Ross and I enjoyed the amazingly comfortable bed and all the extra pillows as well as the temperature control. Our room at home is always too hot, but if we set the gague any cooler than 62, then Sara's room ends up too cold. All three of us had a great complimentary breakfast, and we headed home completey satisfied that, even though we had made a special trip home, we had still kept our resolution.
When we got home, Emma was not really all that excited to see us, and was sad to see Brittany leave. "No, Brinny can't go home! Brinny needs to stay here with me!" Brittany- thank you so very much for giving us the best day of this entire month thus far (not likely to be beat in the next 8 days!) It was lovely even if it was not perfect, and I am sooooo grateful for friends like you who are willing to do things like that for me. We are more than willing to return the favor in whatever form you deem worthy. I love you- thank you for still being my friend after my baby put you through Hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How in the world did I miss this post!? I'm sorry! I feel like an even worse person for not seeing this and commenting on it as much as possible! Amanda, I love you so much and your baby did not put me through hell! I just have bad luck with babies, and I'm sorry if I traumatized her for life! I love you and your girls so much and would absolutely love to babysit them anytime you need someone, but I'm pretty sure I'm banned. :) Or I should be! I felt like the worst babysitter ever. Anyway, thank you for being such a wonderful friend. I really do love you so much! I don't even know what to say. I just absolutely love you!

And that is all.