Monday, November 10, 2008

Realization

I have been a little down lately. I have tried a few different things to lift my spirits, and a lot of them seemed to be working really well, but the positive effects only lasted a few days, if that. This was so frustrating to me. I could not figure out why I was so constantly down in the dumps. I would start my day with optimism and hope and would try to be positive and happy and healthy- but by the end of the day I was waiting for the opportunity to go and cry my eyes out in the shower where no one else would see or hear me. I haven't had any huge reasons to be upset, I was just sad and compeltely guilt-ridden over things that were far beyond my range of responsibility. Then I had a flash of realization!

I was driving to pick up Ross on a particularly bad day when Dr. Laura was kind enough to let me know what was plaguing me. I do not want to hurt feelings, so I will try to be vague here. The truth is, there are a handful of people in my life right now who are not very happy people. The common thread of my bad days is that I leave my interactions with these people completely bereft of all the positive feelings I started my day out with. Their nagging, complaining, and general disdain for all things happy and productive have worked to drag me down to their miserable level of existence. They seem to find this place comfortable, or at least familiar- so I suppose that works for them, but they are lonely, and wish to have me tag along and join in their nagging, complaining and general disdain for all things happy and productive.

The result of this realization is that I have chosen to take Dr. Laura's advice and extricate myself from these mood altering individuals. Hopefully this separation will be temporary as they either learn to be happy and positive, or as I learn to be able to keep my positivity strong and intact inspite of their foolish self-imposed misery. Either way, I need a break, I need some space, and I need some time to build up my own emotional stability out of the reaches of the contagious and debilitating effects of gloom and doom individuals.

The moral of this post is that if I am all of the sudden remarkably less present in your life, then that could be just a coinicidence, but it could also mean that maybe you should examine your life and your actions and try to find a way to be more positive and happy, because your negativity and complaining may not be hurting just you. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged. I'm sorry Amanda! I really have been so cynical and depressing the past little while. I love that you talked about Dr. Laura in here. I wish I took more of her advice, and I am going to try harder to be better and more positive. I've been saying that for a long time! Try and remind me to stop the next time you start hating me. :)

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

This was not directed at you, Brittany! In fact, I would prefer to spend MORE time with you before you move to Texas!! I have already promised myself to be at your next dinner thing Sans babies. I do love Dr. Laura though. She may sound mean and nasty, but I love it! Sometimes I need that quick jab to remind me of how selfish I am being.

Carrie said...

Ooooh!

Tracie said...

I thinks it's good for you to try to keep your spirits up. Sometimes certain people do pass their mood on to us. We can all benefit from trying to put things in a more positive light.

Austin and I have adopted the song from Finding Nemo as a motto when we get down: Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. We sing it over and over in the funny Dori voice until both of us feels better. It works every time.

Sophia Crane said...

Yay, for being pro-active. I love Dr. Laura too, though she sometimes lacks tact, her advice is usually honest and good. I hope you get back to being the bubbly Amanda that I remember soon, I always feel better when I feel silly and bubbly.