Monday, November 10, 2008

My Girl

I felt the need to share with you (aka- mommy brag) some more of the cute things my little 2 year old has been up to lately. Enjoy and be jealous that she is mine!

Last week we were at the doctors for Sara's 9 month check up, and Emma took an immediate dislike to the nurse because the nurse was talking to Emma like she is 2. I know, I know- Emma is 2- but I get so starved for adult conversation, that I generally talk to Emma like she is my equal, and she has grown accustomed to this. She really does not like people talking to her in that condescending tone reserved for the very young and infirm. This nurse also tried to give Emma a sticker with Dora the Explorer on it, and when I tried to tell the nurse that we don't watch TV at our house and that Emma had never seen Dora, she told me that I should not keep her so sheltered because it, ". . .will be hard for her to find friends in school if she is not as cultured as they are." Really? Anyway, I digress. This nurse, who already had two strikes against her- one from Emma and one from me, struck out when she gave Sara her shots, (poor Bear had to have 4 of them!). When Sara started crying, Emma was livid with the nurse, and started yelling at the top of her lungs. "You stop it! You stop it right now!! Don't hurt Sara Bear! That is naughty! Go away! You stop it now! So naughty! You are hurting the baby! Stop it, stop it, stop it!!! You need Time Out!!" The nurse was very upset, but I thought it was very sweet and protective. When Sara was done with her shots and I was trying to calm her down, Emma held her hand and gave her cute kisses, which actually worked!

The other day I was on the computer while Sara was destroying some magazines and Emma was coloring when I heard some rumblings from down under that let me know Sara was due for a change. I asked Emma to run upstairs and get me a diaper and some wipes for her, because I am a lazy bum! The light at the top of the stairs was on, but the stairwell was pretty dark, and Emma was a little nervous. As she made her way cautiously up the stairs, she talked her way through the terrifying ordeal. "It's okay, Emma, I got you! The light is up there. It's okay. It's not gonna hurt you. I got you! Emma's got you! Almost there. It's not gonna hurt you. It's okay." So cute!

We were walking to the church, and were about to cross the street when Emma tried to run out by herself. I told her she had to hold my hand or Daddy's and she refused both, so I said, "Emma, you have to hold someone's hand just until we are across the street." So she clapsed her hands together and held them up to her face and said, "I will hold Emma's hand!" Smart cookie!

Yesterday I told Emma that she needed to brush her teeth and she asked why, so I said, "Because we need to make sure they are nice and clean before we go to bed!" She responded, very thoughtfully with her hand on her chin in that pensive look, "Yeah, that's true." (She hears that from her mom all the time.)

Sometimes when Emma asks one of her parents for something, we tend to pass the buck and have her go ask the other parent. "Mommy, can I have a treat?" "Umm, go ask your daddy!" "Daddy, can you read a book to me?" "You mommy would love to read a book!" The other day I asked Emma to put her cup in the sink and she said, "Umm, go ask Sara."

Saturday night (and Sunday morning) my sweet friend Emily Petersen came over to chat for a while and got the award for the first friend to ever come to my house and stay for more than an hour at a time. (Let it be noted that in order to beat her record, you will now have to stay for 12 hours (7:00 pm - 7:15 am) and keep me so completely entertained the entire time that I won't even mind forgoing a whole night of sleep in order to chat with you! She left a pretty high standard to beat! I love you Emily- come back soon!) While she was here, she pulled out her guitar and sang some of the songs she has written. I love hearing Emily sing, but not as much as Sara did! Sara loves music and has always been pretty responsive to it, but I have never seen her be so excited about something like she was about Emily's music. She was swaying and clapping and singing, and just shaking with the delight of it all. It was so cute, and Emily was appropriately flattered. I told her she needs to record a CD for me to use to entertain Sara.

There are more- I could write for hours on the subject of my cute girls, but I will spare you. . . for now at least. I love my girls! They are so amazing, and I am sometimes blown away at the things that they pick up. I really can't be too careful right now. I also couldn't be any more in love with them! Do you ever just look at your kids, even when they are doing the silliest, (or naughtiest) things and just swell with the love of it all? I suppose there is a great deal of fear, guilt, and responsibility mixed in there as well, but it is mostly love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No! Don't stop posting cute girls stories! My friend puts the funny things her kids say on a separate sidebar on her blog, which is precisely what I think you should do. I think my favorite one here is her coaching herself while going up the stairs. :)

Carrie said...

Emma is a funny one! haha!

Tracie said...

Yep, you sure do have a couple of cute girls. :)

It's things like this that make me look forward to being a parent. They're just so darned cute.

Sophia Crane said...

What cuties you have. Cameron gets talked to as an equal too (I get far to little adult timewith anyone), we have never baby talked with him. Anyway, if Dora the Explorer is the "cultured" of the future, I fear for our future. Don't worry yours are not the only children that do not watch TV, Cameron doesn't even watch movies or anything except an occasional Signing time video (if we can find one at the library); they can be "uncultured" together, a thousand miles away (sad- I miss you).

emily said...

i love you madly :) that was the best night's sleep that i never got!! :D

MWAH!