Sunday, November 02, 2008

Pumpkins!

I love carving pumpkins! It is one of the rare mediums of art that I am not dreadfully terrible at. I am not sure why, but I have always been able to make and carve intricate designs without mutilating the pumpkin in the process. My grandma calls is patience, and I just laught at her! :) Anyway, these are some pictures of our annual pumpkin carving extravaganza at my Grandma Wallace's house.

My cousin, Corbin quite impressed me with his pumpkin. It was giant and took him about an hour just to gut it right. I suppose it would not have taken quite so long had he not had to measure up to Uncle John's demanding qualifications- but he was a trooper. Corbin did this cool witch with stars all around her on the front part, and a dracula face with fangs and blood dripping off of them on the back. Very cool! He did the whole thing without a pattern. You'd think his parents were both artists or something. :) Grandma Jones kept Sara out of the way so that I could play with my squash. Thanks Mom!
This is Marlene's bilingual pumpkin! She is the cute little Mexican girl living in my grandparent's basement, and this is the first time she had ever carved a pumpkin- "American's are so silly!" I love the eyelashes!

Here is the grand array.
I did a pumpkin patch all the way around my pumpkin- I thought it would be pretty and I have always wanted to carve a pumpkin into a pumpkin- weird sense of humor, I know! Dana drilled a bunch of holes into Sara's pumpkin to look like stars, and she also helped Emma carve that "Scary" face on the left. . . I am still not sure what is so scary about it.

Some of my other favorites that are not pictured well were Madison's house, and Annika's girly face with the bangs. Cute kids! Cute pumpkins! Fun night!

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I also love carving pumpkins. Even though they always seem to degrade so quickly, there is just something so fun to me about gutting then cutting up a pumpkin.