Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Kickin' the Bad Habits!

I have never been a huge fan of TV. I think that in general it is a huge waste of time and I feel that it holds a much higher priority level in most people's lives than it ought to! Turning on the TV has turned into this horrible knee-jerk reaction to any lull in conversation or activities, and it is pretty much full of crap all the time. Ross and I have kind of fought about this hatred of mine ever since we got married because television has always been his way of unwinding and relaxing. I have always had a hard time understanding why he couldn't just unwind with me since we usually have a very short amount of time in the day together. I have alwayas hated wasting that time sitting in front of the tube- ridiculous really! Well, when we moved out to our house, we were no longer the recipients of the wonder that is free cable! Ross and I decided (very reluctantly on his part, I might add) to try a month without television reception to see if we would really miss it. Believe it or not, we didn't. When it wasn't an option, it didn't even really cross our minds. It has been very nice. We watch movies some nights and have signed up for Netflix, but we do not watch TV anymore. To be honest- the one thing I really miss is the news channels- but they all have free websites where I can browse through the stories I really want to know about without having to hear Nancy Grace's voice or hear hours of election projectioning. I feel very satisfied with this new deletion from our lives and I highly reccommend a month without TV to anyone who is looking for a way to increase the spirituality in your home!!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds good to me! I have hardly watched tv since I've become addicted to the internet!

Tracie said...

Austin and I haven't had TV since we moved to our apt in Orem in August. We don't even receive local channels. I don't really miss it to be honest. Though we do go over my parents to watch American Idol every week. (They have a DVR so we record it and then fast forward all the stupid stuff and commercials.) We do own a lot of TV on DVD now and we watch it a lot. There are still times that I miss turning on the TV when Austin is busy and I want to just chill for a minute and don't want to put a whole movie in. But it hasn't been like a huge sacrifice.

Sophia Crane said...

Yay for no TV! We don't watch TV either. The only thing that bothers me is feeling so out of the loop when everyone is talking about the shows they watch (I basically haven't watched TV regularly since 2003). I am a huge fan of Netfliks. I love being able to control what I watch and having a greater selection, not to mention to commercials.

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

I'm not going to lie...I LOVE TV. Where would I be without The Hills, and reruns of Sex & the City on TBS? We stop watching as much in the summer, but I enjoy it in the winter. :)