Sunday, March 21, 2010

Future Bibliophiles

Or current ones, actually. This is something I haven't taken pictures of in a while because it happens every day and I just don't think about it. After lunch, they bring down a big stack of books to the couch. I let them each pick 2 for me to read to them.
After that, they sit quietly there on the couch (or not so quietly depending on which books they chose) for about 45 minutes and read the books to each other.
Emma's versions are especially delightful. "And then the Mommy bear got mad because the baby bears were whining and crying and driving her nuts (I have no idea where she got that. . .)so they went outside and played and then she missed them and made them cookies. " Page turn. "And then the Daddy Bear ate all the cookies and the baby bears cried so Mommy Bear hugged them and then they said a prayer and sang a song." Page turn. Singing "We love Mommy she loves me and I am happy and no more crying and happy cookies and yayeeeeeee!" Page Turn. "The End."
Sara mostly tells you what animals are in the pictures and what colors she sees.
I love these moments of the day because they are quiet and I can work with them right there next to me. I am glad they do this on their own as well, because reading is important to me, but I never want them to feel forced into it.
Oh, and yes- little Bear there has a bare bum. At least she has a shirt on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your girls, Amanda, and I love Emma's story! I have nothing to add to this blog post. I love your little readers though. That is all.

Carrie said...

Nice! Spencer used to sit for hours, with ALL his books spread out around him. Of course he had no yard and no friends but his books, but I am glad he loves to read and it has trickled down to all my children.

Southern Spud said...

Too cute! :)

Mrs. Jones said...

I remember you and your little suitcase full of books that you would haul around. You would spend hours looking through your books too. It looks like your girls have caught your love of reading.