Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tender Mercies: Sleep Edition

Jack has been a hungry boy lately. He is probably growing even though we had a deal about him staying little. Stinker. This means I have been at his beck and call as he needs me more than usual. That has put a bit of a crimp in my plans od productivity. Stress much?

Our night routine for the last week and a half has been that he finally goes down at about 11:30 or so, and then gets up around 3:30. At that point, I run and eat something quickly because I know he will literally be eating for the next 3 hours straight. No joke.

It's not generally that constant during the day, but his early morning eating binges have taken their toll on me. While I love the chance to snuggle with him and see his sweet smiles and hear his satisfied sighs and expressions, this has been very physically challenging to me on a couple different levels.

Last night he didn't go down until midnight. That was pretty much life as usual.

This morning, however, I didn't wake up until Ross kissed me on his way out to work.

At 6:30.

Jack was still sleeping.

I went back to sleep for another hour before I forced him awake to, well, you know. . . relieve some pressure.

I got 7 and a half hours of almost completely uninterupted sleep. Wow. It has been over a week since I got more than 3 hours of consecutive rest.

I am hoping his growth spurt is over now, and this will be my new normal. That is probably hoping for too much. I can't possibly begin to explain how much better today started off than most of the last week.

I feel healthy, and rested, and ready to take on my to-do list, which is significantly shorter today than most days- yet another tender mercy!

The moral of this post is that a good night's sleep is an integral weapon in the arsenal against PPD.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

brutal! glad you got some rest, hope it continues.

Michelle Morgan said...

I don't think i could do what you do. I really hope you get more nights like that. Virginia has not woken up in the middle of the night to feed since june. I know I got lucky. All summer it was bed by 8:30 wake her at about 10:30 to feed then she slept till about 6 in the morning. Then back to sleep till 9 ish. For the last six weeks it's been bed 8:30 and then i have to wake her at 6 cause i have to get ready for work. If i didn't wake her she can sleep till about 8 or even sometimes 9, i know this cause of saturdays. it's crazy!! She love to sleep. Sorry for the long comment.

Love you darling.

Anonymous said...

I love you, feel better!