Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good Quote

*First, let me state that the comment in my last post about the fact that my girls don't waste time taking naps was not in ANY meant to say that parents who put their kids down for daily naps are wasting time or being bad mothers! It was really me being jealous and sarcastic about the fact that my girls have both out-grown the regular nap-stage if it ever did exist. They just go, go, GO all day. I wish my kids would nap. Napping is not a waste of time. Ever! *

OK- now- onto the reason I have decided to write a post at 1:00 in the morning.

I am currently writing a series of short articles about parenting and taking care of children for a website sponsered by a chilcare facility chain in Texas. My next article in the series is about the importance of adult interaction in the lives of children who are placed in childcare. While doing some research on this topic, I came across this little quote that really struck me, and I decided to share it here.

If I had my child to raise over again:

I'd build self-esteem first and the house later
I'd finger paint more and point the finger less
I would do less correcting and more connecting
I'd take my eyes off my watch and watch with my eyes
I would care to know less and know to care more
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites
I'd stop playing serious and seriously play
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars
I'd do more hugging and less tugging
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often
I would be firm less often and affirm much more
I'd model less about the love of power
And more about the power of love.

~Diane Loomans

I know it is fairly simple, but that is what struck me about it. It just made me step back and think a little bit about my current priorities and how I am handling all the different hats I am wearing and all the roles I am attempting to fulfill.

I needed a simple little reminder to cherish these incredibly sweet girls of mine. I needed a little motivation to be grateful for these messy, sparkly, pouty, pretty, grumpy, gleeful, snotty, sweet, huggable, adorable, intelligent, active, destructive, loving, giggly, and all too girly little creatures that I get to raise.

Life is good. I am blessed.

1 comment:

emily said...

this was brilliant - thanks for sharing it, manda! :) this is why i am a follower of your blog, i learn something every time i read :)

MWAH!