Monday, June 21, 2010

Update

Emma:
Emma is the sweetest, smartest, most willing helper I could ever ask for at this point. She has tried to be patient and loving and, for the most part, follows my directions. Ross and I have tried hard to make sure she gets her fair share of loves, praise and snuggles- but to be honest, she can be easy to overlook as far as those things go because she has been so good. She asks me a few times a day what she can do to help me. I am so grateful for how mature she has been acting through all of this because it has really made things easier. She likes her new brother and thinks it is very special to have a baby in the house. She is trepidatious about touching him, but I like that. A healthy concern at this point is a good thing I think.

Lastest funny anecdote about her- she likes to tell people all about how "the baby doesn't have teeth, so he has to eat special milk in Mommy's breast." All true- but a little awkward for me. . .

Sara:
Sara is taking this adjustment a little harder- which we expected. She is younger than Emma, and is much more affectionate right now. We knew she would struggle seeing someone else taking her precious snuggle time. She has been really good, though. She thinks the baby is cute and likes to gently touch his soft hair. That is all she will do- which, again, I like. I am glad neither of them are wanting to hold and grab at the baby. Sara has been waking up really early since I came home from the hospital, and that is annoying because it means I have to get up as well. She has been clinging to Daddy more and more as I spend pretty much all of my time feeding the baby or trying to clean the house. We are trying to keep her happy and we tell both the girls how much we love them mulitple times a day how much we love them, but that doesn't keep this from being a hard adjustment for a little snuggle-bug like Sara. Things are getting better as she is learning that she might have to just share me with Jack every now and again.

Latest funny anecdote about her- every time people come over to visit, Sara grabs her doll and a little bottle to show them her baby. They are there oohing and ahing over my baby, so she has figured out how to get a similar kind of attention for herself.

Jack:
He is the best baby I have ever had. I mean that totally and completely. Heavenly Father knew I needed an easy baby for once! He eats really well- almost too well. The kid is always hungry. He sleeps fairly well if I am holding him. I wish he would sleep in his crib, but I do what I gotta do to survive in this three kid world now. Sleeping with a baby in my arms seems a fair trade for a decent night of sleep. He doesn't spit up at all, which, frankly, is amazing compared to the girls who both had Baby-Bulemia (not that's not real). He rarely cries about anything aside from wanting to eat which is a stark contrast from my two cholicy girls. He is also the best little snuggler. All my babies have been, and I LOVE that. He wiggles himself down in as close as he can get and gives constant little sighs of contentment. Closeness is happiness for him, and it makes this Mom thing that much sweeter. Also- he is beautiful. Seriously, those Goodman genes make for amazing babies!

Funny anecdote about him- He is very vocal while eating. He makes grunts and sighs and lets everyone around know just how happy he is about his meal. This isn't a big deal at home, but when I am trying to be discreet in other places like my mom's house or the ER (story to come) or the CT Scan waiting room (part of that story that is to come), it makes it a little harder. Not that there would really be any confusion about what I was doing under that cover anyway, but his noisyness makes people look and stare and usually smile, but sometimes glare.

OK- that is how my kids are doing. I will get in an update of how Ross and I are doing a little (OK- maybe a lot) later. Keep in mind I am a little busy here and am still figuring out how to work with this new arrangement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the updates on your family. Your girls (and probably Jack too, but who knows!?) are seriously the smartest girls I've ever met and have amazingly good manners! Bad manners buuuuuuug me, and I don't really believe in "too young to know better" where manners are concerned. Moral of the story: Your girls don't bug me. At all. I love your life.