Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Calling

I started my new calling last week as a Sunbeams teacher. I would feel a little cheated, except that there are 8 sunbeams teachers, so really, the chances of landing that calling are pretty huge. 4 classes- 10 active children each (meaning there are about 15 on each roll, but only 10 show up per class). Big primary. So much noise. I am trying to love it. I have to admit that the thought of spending 2 hours which used to be my one sure-fire chance at adult conversation with a bunch of 3 and 4 years olds was not completely attractive to me. I love most of the kids though, and am trying to get to know my companion teacher- I wish it was Ross. Shayla and I have an added little challenge in that we both have a pre-nursery age baby that we have to bring along. I had no idea two little infants could rouse up little sunbeams so much.

They did let me keep my Enrichment Committee calling- and I LOVE that, so I will get to talk to adults at least once every 3 months or so. . .

I am also considering letting Emma come with me because none of the other kids in her nursery talk, like at all. The nursery leader says she mostly plays by herself in the corner and talks to herself- sad. Emma came to the meet and greet breakfast with me at the beginning of the year, and she loved it. She made a good friend with little Maggie, and they talked the entire time. Maggie cried when she found out Emma wasn't actually in our class. Since I am no longer escaping little kids by sending her to nursery, maybe I should let her have some real interaction with other kids. . . Just a thought. We will see.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh man, I could handle Sunbeams much easier now than when I was at your stage. And of course that's where they put me when I was preg with Jessica and just moved into our ward! What is with that? Oh, well, try to have fun!

Ashley Welling said...

That sounds like a lot of kids! We have a total of 50 in our entire primary. Because we have a smaller primary our Junior and Senior primary's meet together. Mark and I teach the Valient 11/12. Yes, this age group is combined. We have a total of 10 kids on the roll and only 6 come each week.

Tracie said...

Wow, 4 Sunbeam classes? That's a lot of little kids. I've always wanted to teach Primary. I'm sure it's stressful but I think it would be fun too.