Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Defense For Blogging

I have heard a certain statement about blogging from 6 different women in the past 2 weeks. 6!! The first few times I laughed it off and tried to not be offended, but when it kept happening over and over, I decided that I needed to take a stand and defend myself and my fellow bloggers. Yes, I realize that people who are opposed to blogging will most likely never see this. That is how I am accomplishing the task of not only voicing my opinion and releasing the pent up frustration, but also avoiding offense to those anti-blogging individuals. I dare them to comment on this I dare them to! (Because it would be funny and hypocritical, not because I am a glutton for punishment.) Ok- enough stalling. . .

The statement was almost always word for word, "I don't blog because I am a good mom and I want to spend time with my children."

Yeah- ouch to me and all the other women who spend our precious child-free moments documenting their cute little lives! I am sorry, but where does one get the idea that a mother is somehow neglecting her children by updating her other relatives on the goings on of her and family's life? How does utilizing one's spare time in creating a lovely archive of pictures and anecdotes qualify as some kind of motherly disservice? How is it that when someone takes some spare time to bridge the distance between family members and keep family members outside of the home connected to their lives, they are deemed as worthy of this kind of criticism. Enough!

There are PLENTY of other FAR less contsructive ways for a parent to spend their time! If you want to start a picket line for child neglect, then lets take a look at drinking, abuse, extreme amounts of time in front of the television, inappropriate language, and plenty of other things- but blogging? Really? "I don't have a blog because I am a good mother and want to spend time with my children." Are you serious?

Now, I am not at all saying that every mother has to have a blog in order to be a good mother. That would be just as silly and rediculous of a generalization as I am now defending myself against. What I am saying is that every mother needs a way to blow off some steam and collect herself at some point in the day. EVERY mother needs this! I firmly stand by that generalization. I KNOW that when mothers are over-inundated with their children and the cares of raising them, those bundles of joy start being viewed as burdens rather than blessings. That is not a good emotional place for ANY parent to be EVER. It is hard on the guardian and it is unfair to the child.

What I am saying with this post is that if you, as a mother, choose to spend your moments of relaxation in activities other than blogging- then that is just fine! I will not judge you for exercizing, reading, walking, memorizing the Reader's Digest, milking cows, gardening, painting, playing the wii, practicing the piano, or whatever else you choose to do! I am just asking that you allot me the same courtesy by please not calling me an inattentive mother for creating an online forum about my family and me. I am fairly certain that is the OPPOSITE of what Christ would do!

I blog when my children are asleep or are busy contentedly playing with each other. I am a good mother, and I am a blogger. There is no reason for anyone to think that those two titles have to be mutually exclusive.

Now, if you don't mind, I would like to step down from my soapbox and pull my casserole out of the oven whilst wearing a skirt and high-heels! (I told you I was a good mom!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Call it "keeping a journal," or "cyber-scrapbooking," then let them bash it. There's no difference.

Anonymous said...

Don't let others get under your skin. Blogging is one way you keep in touch with me. I love reading your blog about the family and seeing those girls grow up right in front of my eyes. You make my internet worth having. blog on!Grandma Goodman

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

That is hilarious and so naive. What is it...every mother's dute to spend every waking second breathing in our children? Should we sit by their bedroom door while they're sleeping and count the seconds until they wake up? Talk about overbearing! Being a good mom is not about spending every second playing with your kid. You should definitely spend a good deal of time with your children, but letting them play independently of you is important too, so they don't grow up totally incompetent momma's kids.

And everyone knows that people need time for themselves, how else does a person stay sane? I agree, there are far worse ways to neglect your children (if someone thinks that blogging=neglect.) And by the way, blogging is a form of keeping in touch with other family and keeping a personal history, two very important church-related suggestions.

Ashley Welling said...

I wonder what those women do in their "free time" while their children are napping, playing with others or at school....

I love scrapbooking, but can't afford all the cute paper and stuff...but blogging allows me to to the same thing only digitally and for free! Free is always good.

Tracie said...

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. I'll probably blog more when I have kids than I do now. It'll be my version of scrapbooking.

People who say that probably think that all bloggers spend all hours of the day on the internet. It's just another way for them to feel all high and mighty. There are probably some moms who neglect their kids for blogging but you could say the same thing about anything. Moms who watch too much TV, read too much, exercise too much, etc. Blogging in and of itself does not equal neglect.

Carrie said...

Hmm...they must say those things because they are insecure...that's all I can think! My friend sent me "Does Facebook Make You a Bad Mom?" from Yahoo News yesterday. It had both sides of the coin. All things in moderation! Blogging is just plain old FAMILY HISTORY! My kids LOVE to read my blog books and just think of how fun it would've been if I had started when they were little. Preserving good memories is important!

Anonymous said...

you go girl.