Monday, June 02, 2008

Why I Love Relief Society

Yesterday, our Relief Society Presidency decided to do a lesson on how each of our callings are important to the overall success and unity of the ward. In an effort to illustrate this point they planned out a mock disaster lesson. The plan was to pretend that they had forgotten who was supposed to conduct, what songs they were singing, the announcements, and even who was to give the lesson. The hope was for all of us to have a helpless and lost feeling- maybe even of embarrasment or frustration. It didn't work.

They didn't have anyone lined up to say the prayer, but before they could even ask for a volunteer, one of the sisters on the front row stood up and offered a prayer. When the second counselor stood up to conduct after being told it was her turn by the president, she said, "Well, I forgot I was conducting, so we will just skip the hymns since I didn't pick any, and I guess there are no announcements." The pianist then said she could play whatever song they wanted, and the music leader chose Love One Another, and we had a nice song followed by a sweet testimony about the song from the leader. After that, the sister who had given the prayer read off the announcements that were on the sacrament meeting bulletin. A few other auxilary leaders then offered a few announcements they knew of.

It was now time for the lesson- but no one stood up to give it. The presidency just looked at each other, and that was when the president said, "Oh my goodness- I completely forgot it was my turn!" At that point, one of the other teachers raised her hand and said, "Well, I didn't get through all of my lesson last week, and I still have it with me. I could go through the rest of it, and then we could bear testimonies since it is fast Sunday." The president then tried to look frustrated and hurt as she stormed out of the room saying, "This is so embarrssing!"

We caught on then that this was all a hoax. Sister Paulsen came back in and apologized and told us about their attempts at an obstacle lesson of sorts. She had never expected that so many of the sisters would so readily rise to the occasion. She went on to give a very good lesson and we all felt edified.

I say it all the time to Ross, but I am so glad that I am in the Relief Society and not the Elder's Quorm! I love the women of the church- so dignified, honest, pure, and prepared. I feel honored to numbered among this facet of the Lord's Army, and I hope to rise up to the example set for me by so many of these wonderful women. I also hope that somewhere there is someone who is benfitting from my example.

Now, the spiritual part aside- I also love how pretty everything is when it comes to Relief Society. I love the soft playing of hymns when I walk in, the centerpieces and flowers, the handouts, the bulletin boards, and of course- the soft chairs. I am proud to be a woman in a church who glories in my feminity and supports my right to express my marital and maternal urges. I am grateful for this gospel and I know that the Relief Society program was inspired by God, and it has continued to provide serivce and love ever since its initial organization.

Later in the evening we had the opportunity to attend the dedication of our new bulding. It was the first time I had been to a chapel dedication, and it was a neat experience. We especially liked the part where the Stake President asked the Lord to, "humble the young men who felt the need to enter the premises unlawfully and who failed to show the proper respect to the building. Help them to see the wrong in their actions and begin attending this bulding in the proper manner that we may welcome them." It was very touching, and it showed me a better way to respond to the news that the building had been broken into and vandalized. Anger has done nothing but make me uncomfortable. Prayer will most likely get me much closer to my goal. I love how he not only asked that they cease their destructive behavior, but asked that they actually have a full change of heart and come back to church. He is truly an inspired man.

Moral of the post is: I had a good Sunday

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Nice post, you should send it to the Ensign!