Monday, June 09, 2008

Oooh, Greased Lightning!!

In July of 1997, I had just finished eighth grade- one of the WORST years EVER. We had moved from Sparks, Nevada in the middle of the school year, and were staying in my Grandma Wallace's basement until we could close out on the house in Nevada and find a house in our price range in Orem. After the end of the ghastly school year, I had a nice relaxing summer in store. It consisted mostly of babysitting, reading, and practicing my flute interspersed with a few camping trips. The Wallace side of the family took a great trip out to Fish Lake (something I wish we would start doing again! Enough with Soldier Creek already!!) and then I had a backpacking trip planned with the Young Women in the ward. I was very excited for this trip as I was hoping to get some better relationships with some of the girls.

This is how the day started out- it was GORGEOUS!! Only two other girls in the ward were woman enough to brave the elements, but I was OK with that since they were both really fun girls, and I knew that we wouldn't be bogged down by some of the girlier girls in the ward. I kind of stuck out with my Grandpa's antiquated gear, but I wasn't too concerned about this. About five miles up the trail, things changed in quite a drastic way! A storm head blew right over the top of us and pretty much exploded. We were hit with some heavy-duty hail, and the lightning all around us was so close no one wanted to walk by me with my metal framed pack. We could actually see the rocks farther up the mountain that were being hit with the lightning, and the hair on my arms and neck were all standing on end. It was scary, but sooo cool! I had never seen anything like that before in my life, and I was in awe. After huddling together in the safest spot we could find, Sister Jeffs decided that this was not something she wanted to live with for 3 more days, so we turned around and trudged through the muddy river that was once a trail to get back to the cars. It took a while. .
It was a little unfortunate to have one of the highlights of my summer fall through like that, but it was also an exhilarating experience to be so near a lightning storm. I had no idea thunder was that loud when it is happening right next to you. I still hear the cracks and the see the flashes in my nightmares sometimes. I know it sounds silly, but as we were all struggling back down the trail, I kept singing the words to "How Great Thou Art" in my head. Sister Jeff's treated us all to shakes at Granny's in Heber on the way home to make up for our dissappointment.
This is what the hail did to Alison's tarp- it was pretty brutal.

No comments: