Sunday, June 08, 2008

Goin' to the Tem-ple and I'm- Gonna Get Ma-a-arried!

Yesterday marked an interesting milestone in my life. My best friend got married. It was wonderful, and stressful, and sweet, and weird, and a lot of other adjectives that you wouldn't think could all come together to describe one single event. If I had to choose one word though, it would be wonderful. I am so proud of Carrie and so happy for her and Nate. They are such a good couple, and it has been really fun to watch their journey together. I have been privileged to see pretty much every step of their own little emotional roller coaster. I see it as a milestone for myself because for the last four years Carrie and I have remained best friends while bridging that gap that seems to exist between married and single friends. When I started to get serious with Ross, it seemed like I lost contact with a lot of my friends. I made great efforts to keep people in my life, but most of them seemed to forget I even existed when I found my other half. Carrie did not. She faithfully stood by me through all of the steps I took in my married life- we had a lot of phone calls in those first few newly-wed months, she was one of the first people I told about my pregnancy with Emma, she was pretty much my salvation when Ross left by constantly hanging out with me and inviting me to events which would have been much more fun I am sure without a lonely pregnant woman in tow, she held my hand when I had Emma without Ross, she has been by me through every step of having my second child and dealing with post-partum depression, and she was a great support through the inevitable stress that ensued when purchasing our first home. I feel like that gap we have been bridging just got worlds smaller. If we have stayed this close through all of that, then I am sure we can remain friends for life while we are both on this side of the divide.

I have spent this whole weekend helping her prepare for her day. We made corsages, wrapped flowers, framed pictures, lined food carriers, moved things out of her parent's home into her new apartment, did laundry- a lot of laundry, packed for her honeymoon, got manicures and pedicures, and talked about her hopes, wishes, fears, and concerns. It was really weird to sit there in that beautiful sealing room with all of her friends and family and know that this was the culmniating event in all of those preparations. She was beautiful! The ceremony was perfect, and it seemed like nothing could go wrong on her day. Well- that didn't last long! :)

Every wedding day has to have its drama, and poor Carrie's had hers hit pretty early. Her photographer didn't show up! Luckily, our friend Michelle- who is a fabulous photographer- was there with her camera (which she almost didn't bring). She stepped in at the last minute and saved the day! Liz (Michelle's twin sister) and I hung around to help Michelle stay calm and organized- she had never done a wedding before, and she had NOT been expecting to be thrown into one without any warning. She did a great job, and I know Carrie was very grateful for her help.

Aside from that, everything seemed to go well. They even got their limo driver to take them through a Wendy's drive thru. Then, ten minutes before her reception was supposed to start, she realized that she had left her veil in her car at their hotel. She called in a panic and asked me to drive down there as fast as I could and find it. I got there and back in record time, so she only went five minutes or so without her veil. The twins and I decided that for her gift we would deck out their hotel room with candles, sparkling cider, games, and some snacks- oh, and cheese- by Nate's specific request. Liz came up with the idea, and I thought it was a great one! I remember STARVING the night of my wedding because I had been too excited and nervous to really eat anything at my reception- but then there was nothing to eat at the hotel. Kudos Liz- I think that is something I will do for any other of my close friends who get married (come one Michelle- you are next!). I hope they enjoyed it.

She had a really great turn-out for her reception. Michelle, Liz, and I felt like we were at a reunion of sorts, and it was fun to see so many people I hadn't seen (or even thought about in some cases) for so long. Carrie and Nate are both well-known and loved individuals, so that really didn't come as a surprise at all. They held the reception in her parent's back yard, and it was lovely.

The night finally ended (for us at least- I am sure they were . . . up. . . ;)for a while later than us) with their limo picking them up almost an hour later than scheduled. I watched them leave while sitting in my car nursing Sara. It was so bizarre to see her drive off and know that things were going to be so much different the next time I saw her. I am so happy for her and Nate and I wish them all the happiness in the world. They really are a very sweet match, and I couldn't be more excited for them as they start their life together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your Carrie tribute. I never got to know her but she sounds like a really amazing person. I also loved hearing about her wedding. I love weddings. :)