Sunday, June 08, 2008

Whistle While You Work. . .

What job do you do right now? I am a mother of two beautiful little girls and the wife to a handsome, ambitious, and sometimes scatterbrained man. It is my job to make sure our home stays clean, functinal, and full of home-baked goodies (that was one of the requirements of becoming his wife- no joke!). I also keep Ross's schedule organized and try to line up appointments for him for AFLAC. Does anybody want some supplemental insurance? :)
What will your next job probably be? Well, the wife and mom thing will most liklely be a fairly long-lasting gig, but I am hoping to take on some flute students. I plan to put an advertisement out in the local paper soon. When my kids are all semi-grown (junior high age) I hope to be able to get my Masters in literature and teach Literature or Poetry at a college.
What hours do you typically work? Ross gets up around 7:30ish, but he ususally doesn't need me for more than 5 minutes to do a quick schedule check and a prayer. I usually get up for good around 8:30 with Sara for her morning feeding. Emma is usually in bed by around 9:45ish, and Ross and I cuddle and chat and stuff til around 11:00 on most nights- he ususally starts snoring in the middle of a conversation.
Do you do a lot of over time? Yup- that is the nature of this job.
Do you think you are under paid? Yes. That may be a bad thing to admit, but sometimes I feel like this is not really the job I was suited for. I stick with it because I know this is where I need to be- but sometimes I get bored or lonely, or- I don't know. I feel like I am wasting some of my potential and talents. I really have to fight the urge to hire a babysitter and go make some money and have adult conversation. I won't- I will do my duty, and I really do love it most of the time. I am just not one of those moms who would rather be puked on and change diapers than make a big sale or teach a lecture. That makes me feel guilty at times, especially when I read the picturesque, idealistic motherhood posts on other blogs. I have just had to come to the conclusion that I am a good mom despite the fact that I have other desires. I am sacrificing those desires to be here- and I think that should count for something.
Have you ever been given a promotion? There are very few jobs I have held without being promoted in.
What was the biggest raise you ever got? $8.20/hr - $10.23 When the school I was working for found out I had 30 credits of educational classes, I qualified for two bracket pay raises- WAHOO!
What do you hate most about your work? The feeling that I am not living up to my potential.
What do you like most about your work? Hearing Sara giggle, and dancing with Emma.
Do you get on ok with your co-workers? Yes, Ross and I co-exist fairly well.
What job would you like to do most? I think I would enjoy getting paid to play with kittens all day.
What job would you hate to do most? There is this picture on one of the job seeker sites with some old lady with a hair net smelling a guy's hairy, sweaty arm pit to see if his anti-persperant is doing its job. It would take A LOT of money for me to take that job.
What's the best job you have ever had? This mom thing is pretty good.
What's the worst job you have ever had? Cleaning the faculty restrooms at BYU-Idaho from 4:00am-7:00am. Old men are really quite messy in there!
What's the most embrassing moment you have had at work? I fell asleep one time at EFY during a devotional in the morning, and I fell over out of my chair right into the aisle. It was the main aisle- so the session director saw me and asked me from the pulpit if I was OK.
What's the best moment you have had at work? The first time Emma said, " I luboo Mommy!" (I love you)
What's the worst moment you have had at work? When I was trying to get Emma to calm down when she was really collicky and I got a call from Mississippi telling me that Ross had just been sent to the hospital because he was having seizures. That was a stressful day.
Have you ever fallen asleep at work? More than once.
What was the worst person you ever had to work with? I generally get along with most co-workers. There is one secretary in particular who could get a little. . . power hungry and rude. I am afraid to put a name because this particular person is in the habit of googling her name to see if anyone has said anything about her anywhere. Kelli- you know who I mean right? :)
What was the best person you ever worked with? Ross can be annoying at times, but he sure knows how to make up for it. . . ;) In a real job, I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with Carrie and Kelli every day at Alexanders.

No comments: