Saturday, December 20, 2008

FHE with the Bishops

Way back on the 8th, we got together with my good friend Michael Bishop and his cute family for a Gingerbread House Making Extravaganza Family Home Evening. I was very excited to see Mike- because he is awesome and his little family is so fun. I was also excited to make gingerbread houses because I had never made one before. True story! Somehow I missed out on that staple of childhood- and I now blame all of my emotional scarring on that neglect. The sad truth is, I still have not. I did make a lovely pile of graham crackers, frosting, and tears though- does that count? Apparently my culinary art skills top off with my ornate pumpkin carvings. I would not have been so upset about my gingerbread lameness had I not been shown up by a toddler and a husband who proclaims constantly that he does not have an artistic bone in his body. LIAR!

Look how cute his little masterpiece turned out. Also- he will not let me eat any of it until Christmas. So rude! Nice job honey, I applaud you and your frosting finesse! Phillip and Mike's house had a 'garage sale' (Phillip's term for garage. . . cute!) and a pool with frozen fish.
Elisabeth completed a jaunty little lean-to complete with a door and wreath. She did this with a wiggly toddler in her arms. Pretty impressive.
And here is my rendition of Biloxi, MS- post Katrina land-fall. Sad day. At least graham crackers and frosting taste good. . . This took a surprisingly long amount of time to accomplish. :(
Amelia had a great time sneaking all the treats while her parents were busy with their creations. She is seriously so cute!

The almost finished product. I had no idea that he had this talent!
Thank you, Mike and Elisabeth for inviting us into your beautiful home and sharing your evening with us. We had a great time, and we hope to see you again soon!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

For real gingerbread, I recommend the kits! I know they may limit creativity, but making gingerbread just right for houses has escaped me all these years, plus the plastic foundation helps a LOT!