Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Trip to Brittany's Bachelorette Basement

I have this friend, and her name is Brittany. I never exactly know how to explan our bizarre freindship because, well, it is kind of bizarre! The truth is we were introduced through a mutual ex-boyfriend, only he wasn't my ex at the time. Eric wanted me to meet Brittany because, "She was my first love, and I just want you to know more about her." Weird, right? Anyway, I took an instant shine to her because she is hilarious and really smart. We didn't really ever see much of each other though because of the awkward I-think-the-guy-my-little-16-year-old-heart-plans-to-marry-may-still-have-feeings-for-you feeling kept me from getting too close- but we both shared a penchant for those long e-mail survey things, so we kept in touch that way. You would be surprised at how much you can larn from a person by reading those surveys!

The next year, Brittany joined the marching band again, so we got to see each other a little more often. Eric had graduated the year before, so that made it a little easier for me hang out with her. She was also in the same section as my best friends Danielle and Julie- and they were all very nice about letting me pretend I was as cool as they were. For the record- I wasn't.

After that, I didn't really see much of her. When I was dating Ross, I was working at a school as a Skill Builder. I was supposed to help kids who fell behind in class due to vacations, illnesses, or just from need of a little one-on-one teaching get caught back up with their class-mates. That is what I thought the job would be, but what I really ended up being was the detention lady for part of the time, and a major drain on school-diverted tax funds for the rest of the time. I spent a vast majority of my time there reading books and messing around on the internet. It was GREAT! One day I got really bored so I sent personalized e-mails to every single person on my contacts list. I only got back 2 replies- one from Ross, and one from Brittany. This began a wonderful e-mail relationship. We emailed 2 or 3 times a day, and it was grand. She was one of the lucky few to get a play-by-play of the whole Ross saga. It was kind of weird how open I allowed myself to be with her, but her responses were always so fast and clever that I was hooked!

After Ross and I got married, we didn't e-mail as much, but we still chatted on IM from time to time. In one of these chats we exchanged our blog addresses. This whole mixed up world of blogging has cemented this friendship, and I can honestly say that I love and respect this amazing girl a lot! She is smart and funny and strong, and I feel very fortunate to consider her a friend.

Recent events have forced Brittany to face a trial that I hope to never ever have to endure. Her husband of 5 years decided that he was done with their marriage, and took all the right steps to make it completely irreconcilable. When I found out about his infidelity, I cried all night. I was shocked and hurt and so worried about Brittany. I just wanted to have some way to help her, but didn't know how far our limited real-life interaction would allow me to go before I stepped over that line of propriety. Brittany has taken all of this in stride and has shown her incredible strength and optomism. Suffice it to say that she has taken the place as one of my heroes.

This weekend Brittany threw a party in her new Bachelorette Basement, and Ross and I decided to make the trip up to Logan to be a part of it. My mom was willing to watch Emma over-night, so Ross and Sara and I made a mini-vacation out of it. It was alot of fun, and I am glad that we took the trip. Ross even had fun, which shows what a great husband he is- because he was the only guy. Who knew he was so great at girl-talk?

Brittany made a great dinner complete with incredible spaghetti, some home-made bread (sans rice), and an artichoke spinache dip that I am now in love with and must have the recipe to! The rest of the night was spent just chatting and laughing. When the other girls all went to see a late movie, Ross and I went back to our hotel in Ogden (stupid USU parent's weekend booked up every available room in Logan and Brigham City) and played in the pool. Ross also enjoyed some quality time with cable TV.

Here are some pictures of the Spaghettextravaganza. I am pretty sure this was really just a random candid shot- but I love her pose! Brittany really is on the prowl! :) DeAnna and Brittany were looking for an earing.
Ross and Sara were good sports since Ross was the only guy, and Sara was the only baby. They both had a pretty good time though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are honestly no words for how I feel about this post! You are one of the sweetest people I know and definitely one of the most trustworthy. You are one of the first of two of my friends that I told when I found out. I have always felt, even when we only communicated via email, that I could just be totally open and honest with. And I always knew that you genuinely care about people. I am sorry if I made you guys feel bad. I am so bad at the whole goodbye thing. Will you guys set me up with one of Ross's brothers so I can be your family? Thanks! Amanda, I know this is a totally inappropriate blog comment but I LOVE YOU! Thanks for always being there for me. You probably don't know it but you are one of the anchors I've kind of been holding onto throughout this whole ordeal and I appreciate that more than you know! Okay, I'm done with the novel now. But I love you. Serious.

DeAnna said...

Confession...now that I have RE-visited your blog I realized that I have in fact blog-stalked this exact blog before, but just didn't remember. I am pretty sure that I will be back again.