Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Village- Jones Style!

Last week (yes, this is another image heavy post that is a week late) my family took a trip up to the pioneer village. This is something we used to do two or three times every summer because my dad loved it so much. It had been a couple of years since they had all gone, so we decided to find a day when everyone would be available and headed on up. It was a lot of fun, but it was very very hot!!! I didn't delete the pictures this time, so pretend that you can see Grant and Judy in some of these, and we will all feel better about that whole mix-up :)

Caulene was the designated Map Girl, which meant she got to tell us where to go, and she knew when the different demonstrations would be open at the different sites. I am still not sure if it was a good thing to put so much power in her hands- but she did a pretty good job. Next time I will have to make her a cape or something. Heather was designated the camera girl (even though I have yet to see any of the pictures she took!!) because she has a good eye for photography and promised to send out all the good ones. (hint hint HINT!!!)
We hadn't been there 5 minutes when my dad decided to play his Papa role seriously, and got her an overpriced, but very cute little duck which she named AFLAC- that's my girl!!

They just finished the cute little train for the kids on the fourth of July (the day AFTER we went with the Goodmans- lame!) and Emma had a blast riding on it. I didn't get any pictures though because she was doing this while I was hiding in the shady spot at Mary Fielding Smith's house feeding Sara. I know Heather got some pictures though. . .

The navigational role got a little tough for Caulene, so she asked Sara to help her out a little bit.

Sara wanted us to go down to the photographer's studio where we got a cute old fashioned souveneir picture. It was a fun experience trying to find clothes that fit us all.
I think my dad looks like an old rock star in this picture- like a stout David Bowie or something!

Happy 67th birthday tomorrow Mom!!
We went out to the parking lot to have some lunch. Ross and I brought some rotisserie cooked chickens, and my mom brought bread and rolls and chips and apples and all sorts of good things to eat. Sara decided that this was the time to break her little mold of being the perfect baby. She was VERY upset, and it took me a while to calm her down. She is teething, and I think that, along with being REALLY hot was really getting to her.
Dana- you are so cute! Stop with the growing up already!

After we got Sara settled down for a good nap, we went and learned about the Deseret alphabet at the school house, and then Emma and Dana pretty much pulled us down the hill to the pony rides. I think Dana is getting a little old for this- but I am the one who wants her to stop growing up, so maybe I will just keep my mouth shut about that. :)














The petting zoo was kind of funny because all of the animals were huddled under the only shade in the entire pen.

After we all smelled like cows and sheep (and peacocks- those thinge are GROGEOUS), we went to the black smith's shop, the tin smith's shop, the cabinetry, and ended up at the Pay cabin. The nice lady told the same story as before, but I still loved hearing it. Emma was a little distracted by her 'blue juice' though. We were really getting hot.
So Mom bought us all ice cream!
We stopped at a few places along Main Street on the way out like the bank, the barber's shop, and the artist's home, but we were all too hot and tired to head over to the pink house. We may have been up to it if we had cooled off at the Visitor's Center for a while, but I had to head home for Enrichment. It was a very fun day, and I was very happy that my dad not only took a day off (a rarity for him) but decided to spend that precious day off with us.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks like fun--you'll have to tell me where this place is so we can go when the weather is cooler! ha!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea where Pioneer Village is but sounds like fun. The highlight of this blog, I think, has to be Emma naming the duck AFLAC and her "blue juice." I lol'ed for real. :)

Anonymous said...

67th?!!! You are out of my will! But then, you were expecting a response from me, right? Well, there you go.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

The Pioneer vilage is up by the "This is the Place" Monument. It is right across the street from the Hogle Zoo. Thanks for commenting Mom! For clarification purposes, let me state here that my mom is really only 59 this year. :)

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Jones said...

Still too high! What world are you living on? Oh yeah, did you say you needed a babysitter soon? Hmmm. I think this poor, old, decrpid 67 or 59 year old is suddenly not available. Not really, How can I punish those cute girls for the sins of their mother.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Wow, you are feisty for a 55 year old! I didn't know old Grandmas like you had that much sass!!

Mrs. Jones said...

Girl, you are cruis'n for a bruis'n. You'll find out just how feisty this old grams can get if you don't get that age into the right decade!