Sunday, July 20, 2008

Emma Goodman; MD

I am not a big fan of TV, but the one genre of television show that has always been able to capture my attention is the medical shows. We own four seasons of Scrubs, two seasons of MASH, and we have been Netflixing all available Grey's Anatomy seasons. I also used to LOVE ER when George Clooney was on there. My love of these medical dramas and comedies has already been passed on to Emma. It is not uncommon for her to as to requeest 'The Doctors' (Scrubs) when she gets to choose her movie for the day. She is also usually very content to sit quietly in my lap while Ross and I watch Grey's Anatomy- even though there aren't any stuffed dogs or crazy costumes like there are in Scrubs. I figured that this was mostly just because I will sit with her while we watch Scrubs or MASH, but if she chooses the Fish (Finding Nemo), the Pongo Puppies (101 Dalmations), or any other animated flick, I will usually let her watch it alone while I attend to some cleaning, or occasionally some blogging. Emma has always been very affectionate, so I figured her love of these meidcal shows was mostly tied up in the automatic snuggling involved.

It wasn't until a couple weeks ago I realized just how much she is picking up from these shows. Before we moved our computer desk to Ross's make-shift office in the basement, we had a corner of our room that held the computer desk, and underneath it was a lap-top bag with a bunch of old computer wires and other technical equipment that may still be of use at some point. I have some old headphones, and the extra set of my I-pod ear buds in there along with an old mouse and some cable wires.

I got out of the shower one day to find Emma (who had been napping when I got in) playing with all of these wires and I was about to get really upset until I realized what she was doing with them. When I figured it out, I ran for the camera and tried to capture that moment. When I ran off, she yelled after me, "Mommy- SSHHH! Donkey sick and resting! SSHHH! Quiet!" I did not tell her to do any of this, I just watched her. Defribulator?
Stethescope?
Oxygen Mask?

Intubation?
"YAY!! Donkey all better! Donkey gonna make it, Mommy! Yay!"
I found this so cute and I think she is such a smart little cookie, but this experience also really scared me. The medical things are not the only things portrayed in these shows. I am really concerned about how much of the sexual content she has picked up, or the swearing. We have tried to really monitor watch she watches now because we now know just how receptive she really is to the things she is watching. She really is a little spongue just soaking it all up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a smarty pants! That picture of her with the defibrillator was so cute!

Penny said...

That is cute that she is acting like a Dr. Who knows, maybe she'll be one one day.