Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fuzzy's Name

I have been very secretive about the name of our new little addition because I have been scared (OK, maybe even paranoid) that someone close to me would steal the name, and that would have made me very sad (and possibly terribly angry depending on the intensity of my pregnancy hormones at the time). Now that I am about seven weeks away from having my little girl, and no one close to me is pregnant with a girl, I feel secure in sharing the name with anyone who cares to know. I have a few reasons for being so picky about the names of my children. The main reason is that I HATED having such a common name growing up. I feel that my name is too ordinary for such an extraordinary person :) No- seriously there has always been another Amanda Jones at every school I have ever gone too. Amanda also has no inner meaning to either of my parents except for the fact that they both liked the name. I decided a long timed ago that my kids would have unique names that reflected something personal about their parents. I have always wanted them to be able to draw strength and meaning from their names.

First, let me share how we ended up choosing our name for Emma. I had always wanted to name a little girl Emma ever since I read Jane Austen's book- I really relate to Miss Woodhouse, and I don't care how many people insist that Pride & Prejudice is the greatest of her books- I find Emma much more believeable. Also, Emma Smith is one of the strongest women I have ever read about. She endured so much, but continually supported her husband. Her gentle strength is something I wanted to give to Emma. This also meant a lot to Ross. His GREATEST hero in life is Joseph Smith. His testimony of Joseph is incredible, and is one of the reasons that I fell in love with him. The name Emma means hard worker- and we wanted to give her a middle name that would balance that out. Roses are beautiful and delicate- we want Emma to work with all her might, and yet retain a gentle femininity.

Our new little girl will be Sara Belle. Sara in the bible is the epitomy of the power of women. She helped her husband be who he was and establish what he established. Sarah from "A Little Princess" is one of my favorite literary characters of all time. I love the confidence she had in her father's love- no matter where her current circumstances had placed her. Her loving heart touched so many people and the world she created through the powers of positive thinking have really gotten me through a lot. Belle means beautiful and Sara means princess- and what girl wouldn't want that kind of a title? My only concern with this name is the possible nick-name of Sara-bellum, but as the cerebellum is a part of the brain, I think it would only be given if she is a genius like her mom :)

3 comments:

Sophia Crane said...

You truly are a Genius or maybe all the long nights and days with Cameron have withered my brain because I never even thought of Sara-bellum as a nick name. The name is beautiful. I really like all the tought put into the name.

Andrew said...

I like Fuzzy, but if you had to choose something else, Sara Belle is beautiful.

Tracie said...

That's a really beautiful name. I like that you pick names that mean something to you and Ross. And I doubt that any little kids will be teasing her with Sara-bellum since they won't know what it is. :)