Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Valentine's Day

 I used to hate Valentine's Day.  I was a huge grump about it and was in that whole camp of people who find it too cliche and commercially driven.  I have grown up a little since then and have seen just how bereft this world can be of love and affection.  Now, Ross does a pretty good job of lovin' on me and the girls and making us feel special all the time, but I still feel like the greatest message Christ wanted to send in His teachings was to Love One Another.  I find it fitting that there is one day a year where we are to stop and evaluate our relationships, reflect on how we can improve them, and express love to all those in our life who we care about.

It does help a bit that Ross first said he loved me on Valentine's Day.  We have a special anniversary on this day.

This year, our budget was a bit tight due to the basement costs, so we had a simple night at home.  I made a roast (Ross's favorite meal!) and we had crock-pot chocolate fondue for dessert.  It was something we have never done before, and the kids loved it.



 We had some left over, so we will use it again once I find a way to include it in an FHE or something.
 I wanted to dip this belly in the chocolate and devour it, but was informed by Emma that it was probably not the best idea.  Party Pooper!
 This is my favorite story of the day.  Ross and I paid to send Emma a flower and some candy through the PTA fundraiser.  When she came out of class that day, she was holding it and beaming.  I was so happy to see her so excited.  When she got to me, she said, "Mom, this was my favorite present today (I don't think she knows it was from us) and I want you to have it because you LOVE flowers!  I was sad that I didn't have a present for you today, and now I do!"  I love this little munchkin and her tender heart.  I love my flower too.
The kids had picked out some fun presents for Daddy the day before, and Emma and Sara both had fun Valentine's parties at school.  We made some cards at home that said "You are just 'WRITE' for our class!" and we included a pencil (Walgreens fillers I had been collecting).  The girls liked giving something other than candy.  Sara saw one of her friends using the pencil she gave the other day, and she was super excited about it.  So cute!

It was a successful day, and everyone in this house went to bed feeling happy and loved.

No comments: