Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Universe's Birthday Gift to Me!

Every year right around my birthday, the Earth throws a nice bash for me by travelling through the debris from a comet which results in the Perseid Meteor Shower. I love it! Ever since learning about it 8 or so years ago in an astronomy class (the one I met Ross in), I have loved it! It never dissappoints.

Last year was the best because I was camping with my family up in the mountains, so there were no lights anywhere to block out the stars and the meteors. This year was almost as good due to the fact that we live in the middle of nowhere, and the moon set about the same time as the sun. We let the girls stay up late with us, and we took some blankets, sleeping bags, and couch cushions out to the park that is in our backyard. It was fun. Here are some pictures to prove it.

Emma saw three on her own, and was so excited about it.


We stayed out for about an hour, and saw about 15. That is one every few minutes. The peak of the show wasn't until just before dawn, and I hear that it was incredible which almost made me regret sleeping in. Almost.
Thanks for the celebration, Universe. I loved it!

1 comment:

kara lynn said...

thanks for posting that quote on the right by Pres. Hinckley. I have been looking for one like that! I must copy it for myself. so great! and you have an adorable baby! congratulations!