Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Am Really Living!

Lately I have found myself getting a little down about not meeting all my expectations. No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep the house clean all day, the dusting never gets done, and everytime I turn around one of my children needs a change of clothing due to boredom, heat, or other less savory details. My meals are not always delicious, and when they are they are not always healthy, and when they are, they are not always timely.

I seem to go in spurts of getting everything done in one area, while abandoning most of the others. My laundry gets all cleaned, dried, and put away, but the carpets go days without being vaccuumed. I cook every meal in one week with new and healthy recipes, but the bathrooms get cluttered, and the laundry backs up. The dishes go a few days with never sitting in the sink, but the junk mail never gets sorted, and the girls toys get unorganized.

It is so frustrating. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING.

Anyway, I was feeling all caught up in that angsty and disheartening feeling this afternoon when I saw both girls with runny noses and realized it was noon and no one (including Ross) had changed out of PJs yet. Not great.

Then I saw this quote on SugarDoodle.
My mom actually had this quote hanging on her fridge for years, so it brought back good memories when I saw it. I may not be perfect, and there may be supermoms out there shaking their heads at my weak attempts to reach their level, but man, I am really living right now! I am using every moment of my time to love on my kids and make the most out of my portion of The Kingdom of God. It was a comforting thought to think that maybe all the chaos surrounding me right now is not a mark of inadequacy so much as a sign of how enriched my life is.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

:)

Em said...

Thank you. This made me feel a lot better about the current chaotic state of my life.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

It's the circle of life: when one area is going well, others fall apart. Me? Pretty much everything is falling apart all the time! It's impossible to be the perfect woman and still have a life.

Austin said...

I haven't seen it anywhere else but on my mission, but I'm sure other people have it. There's a refrigerator magnet that sums up my existence rather well:

"Only dull people have immaculate homes."

Heidi said...

I love that quote! I'm gonna print it off to put in my house too! Maybe on my bathroom mirror. Thanks for the uplifting post!