Sunday, May 16, 2010

This Weekend. . .

. . . was divine. Ross surprised me by putting together a weekend of things that I will not be able to do very well for a while after having a baby. I loved it. First off, he took the day off. We went to Kneaders in Lindon and had all you can eat French toast and watched the robins finding worms in the grass. The girls were cute and happy as they got their fill of wildlife and whipping cream.

After breakfast, we headed to BYU to hang out in our favorite spot and torture the ducks. Seriously. This is Ross growling at the mama duck to make her hiss. He is nice. (yes, I know these pictures are blurry. My new camera has a problem with the auto-focus, and will be replaced by the warranty this next week.) I still think my girls are cute when they are blurry.
We wanted to have some good quality time with them with lots of running, tickles and loves before their world is turned upside down in a few weeks.
Sara has a problem. She has no bum! We cannot find pants that will stay on her hips, and belts are not at all effective or smart with a newly potty trained child. This is her running to find the ducklings while holding up her britches on both sides. Cute!
See them slowly slipping to meet her ankles. . .
I love my girls and I am so grateful for them. Their smiles and giggles and animated presence light up my life and make me feel like this whole stay-at-home-mom thing is truly where I can make my mark in the world. They are so delightful and just so beautiful. I can't believe I have been entrusted with them.
Ross then drove us over to a hotel (A HOTEL! I LOVE HOTELS!!) where we all went swimming (SWIMMING! I LOVE SWIMMING!!). We were there early enough that we had the whole thing to ourselves. It was bliss. We swam around for a good 2 hours before everyone else was ready to leave. I could have stayed there at least 2 more hours- but I was out voted and out whined.
After some quality time with the girls, we dropped them off at my mom's house and went out to dinner for the first time ALONE in . . . well. . . a while. It was nice, and will likely be the last time we do that for another year or so since I will be nursing at least that long.
After dinner we went to a movie. A MOVIE!! Thanks to raised ticket prices and RedBox movies, we very rarely go to movies in the theater anymore. We saw Iron Man 2, and were both well-pleased. Great movie. Great company. Just enough action scenes that go on too long allowing for good making out possibilities. What? Ross was even sneaky and got me all full of steak before taking me to the movie so that popcorn didn't sound appealing until the movie began. The lack of over-buttered, over-priced, theater popcorn may very well be the only complaint I have of the entire day.
After the movie, we went back to the hotel to find it CRAWLING with high school kids. The state track and field competition was going on at BYU. That meant another dip in the pool was not to be had. Sadness. Instead, we went to a grocery store, got some cookies and ice cream, and played in the hotel room for the evening.
The next morning, I woke up realizing I had slept 8 whole hours without interuption. I can't even remember the last time that happened. Between two little girls who occasionally get scared or sick in the night, a bladder the size of a lima bean, a very active fetus who likes to use the tiny bladder as a punching bag, and my brain that tends to resist shutting down, I have had very bad sleep lately. I'm not sure what was different about that night, but I slept like I wish babies would (I've never had a baby that slept like that!) and woke up feeling revived and refreshed (after I ran to the bathroom, of course).
Ross was not easy to rouse and I was aching for my girls, so I headed over to my mom's house to collect them, and take them to the breakfast at the hotel and another jaunt in the pool. So much fun!
When the check-out time rolled around, we headed home and got to work on some much-needed projects.
I loved this weekend. So much! I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed and so loved. Ross did a wonderful job of making me feel special, and it was so nice to have this time with him before the baby comes. Don't get me wrong- we are THRILLED for this baby boy to come and join our family. We just know that there are certain things that are not possible to be done with a small infant. Germ threats, nursing, loud and dirty places, midnight (and other even worse hours) feedings, and other such elements make a lot of the things we did this weekend a little out of reach for the first year or so. Thanks, Ross. I love you!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Wow, That really does sound like a fun and relaxing weekend!

Hannah has the same problem as Sara, no bum. Pants in the winter are a lot harder than shorts in the summer. Shorts she can wear several sizes smaller so the waist fits but pants she can't because then the legs are too short. We're a fan of the pants that have the adjustable elastic waistband (Walmart has some, Target, Children's place, etc). They still hang off her bum though, she's skinny and has a flat bum. The jeans that fit her best are the Target Circo brand because they come in slims as well as regular and they have the adjustable waistband too. She finally fit into them this year because the smallest size they have is a 4.
She's also wearing some shorts that were made by cutting the legs of some 24 month children's place jeans. She'll be 5 in July and has a 2 year old's waist!
I still find myself asking her to pull her pants up though.

Anonymous said...

So many things to comment on, so I'll just say this: YAY! That really does sound a heavenly weekend! I love the way Ross treats you. He is a good one. And also, I have the same no hips problem that Sara does.

Heidi said...

How fun!! YOu deserve it. Have you decided about your shower??? *hint, hint*