Sunday, November 08, 2009

I'll Be Honest. . .

. . . I have kind of felt like this lately. My kids haven't been to Primary in weeks, they didn't go trick-or-treating with any of their friends, and I have spent my last few weeks in large groups covering my face and slathering myself in my hand sanitizer. I am grateful that I am doing home-preschooling with Emma so she has had less contact with children who could have possibly had contact with family members with the Swine Flu. I am a bit paranoid, but I am DETERMINED to not have our house infected with it. Ross got the vaccine at work, so that makes me feel more comfortable about kissing him when he gets home from work, although I still make him shower first. . . ;)

I actually had a scare earlier this week when Emma started throwing up. I was sure that despite all my efforts, the pig flu had caught up with us. I took her in to the Pediactrician IMMEDIATELY, and was relieved when they said her lack of coughing or a runny nose was a good indication that her flu, while miserable, was not of the swine variety. Huzzah!

The funny thing is, that despite a high fever and the throwing up, Emma seemed fine. She was talking and acting normal, would run to the bathroom to puke, and then come back and pick up right where she left off. The nurse even said she didn't think Emma was sick at all because she was being so cute and talking about the baby in Mommy's tummy. Just as the nurse was about to send me away, Emma said she had to throw up. The nurse grabbed her a puke bucket, and Emma filled it up with the granola bar and apple juice she had enjoyed in the waiting room. She believed me after that.

However, when Emma said that her back hurt, the doctor got concerned that she might not have a flu at all, but a urinary tract infection. This required a urine sample for testing. Thus began the most fun I have had all week! I spent two hours on the floor of the restroom contracting Hepatitus and holding a cup, begging my three year old to, "Please pee pee in the cuppy so you can get a special treat." No dice.

The nurse kept giving her juice boxes in an effort to hydrate her and get her to have more to work with potty-wise. Well, guess what happens when you give copius amounts of liquid to a child who has kept nothing down in the last 8 hours. . . The answer, of course, is not pee-pee in a cup, but throw up on the floor, the bucket, the sink, the toilet, and a few other awesome places for puke to be found.

After 3 hours of no luck urine-wise, they allowed me to take the cup home with me to fill when she was good and ready. I still haven't taken it back even though we did get it filled. She seemed totally fine the next day, and has been a perfectly active and sweet little girl all week, so I am just assuming it was a 24 hour bug, and she is now fine. I should probably get the cup out of my fridge though, because there are few things more embarassing than your daughter proudly showing off a cup of her ice cold urine to visitors. . .

7 comments:

Ashley Welling said...

I had a couple of scares last week. There were a few times I thought I had our best friend the swine flu. But it turns out it was just an upset stomach and nothing more.

I feel so lucky that I haven't contracted it yet being a teacher (**Knock on wood!!**). I have had probably 15-20 students out with the swine flu since October. I sanitize my desks everyday and I bought a big thing of hand sanitizer from Costco, and I make my students use it every time they come into the classroom. Even if they just left to go to their locker or get a drink of water...they have to use sanitizer when they come in.

Penny said...

Amanda, I don't know if this will help you not fear or not, but we did get the swine flu and it wasn't near as bad as what you got. I'd way rather have what we did than kids throwing up - any day. Don't fear it that much. I think the media has just hyped it up way more than it needed to be. While it was contagious, it just ran it's course and then everyone went back to school.

Now, having said that, not being a friend of germs myself, I hope you don't get it and that this winter finds us all much healthier than the last month did.

Penny said...

Amanda, I don't know if this will help you not fear or not, but we did get the swine flu and it wasn't near as bad as what you got. I'd way rather have what we did than kids throwing up - any day. Don't fear it that much. I think the media has just hyped it up way more than it needed to be. While it was contagious, it just ran it's course and then everyone went back to school.

Now, having said that, not being a friend of germs myself, I hope you don't get it and that this winter finds us all much healthier than the last month did.

Holly said...

Yuck! It's no fun to have sick kids! Especially when it's something gross like puke! I'm glad it wasn't the Swine flu and I'm glad she's feeling better now!

On another note, "The baby in mommy's tummy"? I don't think I've seen that mentioned here yet, are you just outing yourself now or did I miss it earlier?
Eitehr way, CONGRATS!!!! That's so exciting!!! When are you due?

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Yeah I think I missed that announcement too! I went back through a couple of your old posts to see but I couldn't find it if you did. Congrats then! I want to know the details too, like when you are due and such. I'm really happy for you, especially since your miscarriage.

emily said...

i was so happy that emma was feeling better by the time i came over to visit!

and her proud show-and-tell was truly a moment to remember ;) i love you all so much!! :D

Michelle Morgan said...

This is a fantastic story!!! :)