Monday, March 29, 2010
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
- I have to read books cover to cover. Literally. I finally stopped myself from reading all the publishing info in college- but I never miss a foreword, dedication, glossary, epilogue, editor's note, or the teaser chapters for future books. I do this with magazines too.
- I talk to myself when I am alone. Usually it is just little things like mini-pep talks, lists of tasks to do, or reminders- but sometimes it goes more in depth than that.
- I lie at church when I make comments. I know- this is weird. The thing is, when I have ideas or council that is applicable to the topics being discussed, I feel weird about taking credit for those ideas. I don't want people thinking I am arrogant, so I credit my ideas to other people. A lot of my comments are falsely prefaced with things like, "My Young Women's leader once said. . ", "My mom always told me. . .", "One of my roommates once talked about. . ."
- I cry every day. I have been doing that since High School. It calms me.
- When I get bored listening to lectures, speeches, and even talks, I write my own talk or speech on that subject in my head.
- I tried for an entire semester to go by Mandy, but could never make it stick.
- I am hopelessly sarcastic. I blame mostly my dad, but my mom is fairly well versed in it as well. People who don't understand sarcasm confuse and irritate me.
- I hate shopping for clothes. It is the worst.
- I LOVE grocery shopping.
- I hate most chick flicks. I used to love them, and then I had a real relationship with a real man, and most romantic comedies after that experience bored, annoyed, and even offended me.
- I am usually in the middle of four different books and one magazine. This is because I have 3 bathrooms, a purse, and a car.
- I am mostly terrified to have a third child. Mostly I am excited, but also I am mostly scared out of my mind. Does that make sense?
- I hate small talk. Seriously- I hate it.
- My life right now kind of revolves around facebook. Not in a creepy stalker kind of way, but in a constant quick checks and updates between writing lesson plan segments kind of way.
- I like hearing when I have something legitimately wrong with me when I have been feeling gross. It makes me feel like less of a weakling when I hear my pains have been caused by actual conditions and not just from me overreacting to heartburn or indigestion.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Those of you who think I am exaggerating, be assured I am not. My measurements are bigger than average. The doctor even says so. I have a mean little belly of babyness which is kind of funny to me because I am actually 20 pounds lighter than when I first got pregnant. [I am NOT dieting- I was just sick for a while, and I eat healthier when prego and nursing.] Jack has quite the swimming pool in there, and I have quite the round ligament pains (but no stretch marks yet- knock on wood).
Sometimes I really forget how big I am until I try to fit by people in hallways or when I catch my reflection by surprise in windows or other things. On Sunday, I got into one of my dresses only to walk out of my closet and look in the mirror to see a huge purple floral blimp standing there with my necklace! I laughed a little bit about it, and then changed into something that camoflaged the 'bump' a little better.
Anyway, that is all just to say that, yes- I am big and not that far along yet. I know. I will probably get bigger too. Right now I am just a few inches shy of where I measured just before Sara was born. Maybe it's because he is a boy? I don't know. I just know carrying this third child has been a very different experience than my other two pregnancies and I am running out of things that fit me.
Monday, March 22, 2010
I know the rest of us look weird- but I loved Emma's face in this picture. They have these fish tanks full of fresh water fish like catfish, trout, bluegills, and other things I didn't recognize. They are HUGE!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Friday, March 12, 2010
I got to feeling low today when I started measuring myself against those other women. Why do I do that? Why do we (we meaning women) do that?
Anyway, as I was feeling all low and unsuccessful I decided to create a list of all the things I have done today. I am surprised at how much better it made me feel.
- Dressed my girls.
- Put Emma's hair in pig tails. She LOVES pig tails.
- Went visiting teaching.
- Did a load of laundry.
- Wrote 2 chapters worth of a lesson plan on a Virginia Woolf book.
- Read 12 books to my kids.
- Took pictures of my girls reading books.
- Congratulated Sara a bazillion times for going peepee on the potty. Toddlers pee a lot. Have I mentioned we are now a diaper free home except at nighttime? Yayness!
- Pet the cat.
- Fed the cat.
- Hugged my girls.
- Fed my girls.
- Unloaded the dishwasher.
- Loaded the dishwasher.
- Unloaded the dishwasher.
- Loaded half the dishwasher.
- Marvelled at how many dishes had been crammed into my little sink. Didn't think I was that far behind. . .
- Called Ross at work.
- Commented on some facebook stati.
- Chatted with a distressed friend.
- Checked my e-mail.
- Wrote an e-mail.
- Practiced some primary songs on the piano.
- Sang someprimary songs with my girls.
- Pushed my girls on the swing.
- Warmed up my girls' hands when they got cold from swinging.
- Wiped my girls' noses when they got cold from swinging.
- Congratulated the cat on vanquishing another mouse.
- Had a tickle war with my girls. I won. I always win!
- Gave Jack a little talking to about kicking me in the same spot so many times it bruises.
- Complained about my round ligament pain- but only twice.
- Went on a short walk.
- Read some blogs.
- Found out that there is a third Narnia movie coming out in December.
- Called Ross at work again to tell him that there is a third Narnia movie coming out in December.
- Prayed that my dad would get word about the job he applied for at the VA.
- Texted my dad to congratulate him on getting a job at the VA.
- Called Ross at work. What? I missed him today.
- Made the couch-bed in the front room.
- Watched a movie with the girls.
- Made crepes for dinner. They are Ross's favorite.
Now I can add writing a blog post to that list!
I realize that most of these things are fairly simple and inconsequential, and only one of them will reap any kind of monetary benefit- but I felt much more accomplished and productive seeing it all written out like that. Even in retrospection, some of the silly things that I saw as relaxing and self-indulgent (watching a movie with the girls, going for a walk, calling my husband) can be seen as showing support and love for my family. Even the blogs I read were about recipes, budget shopping, and cheap decorating. (ok, ok, one was about funny cake mistakes, and another was about silly photoshop mistakes in national campaigns. . .)
I guess the moral of this post- since all good posts have morals, right- is that worth may not always be found in the most productive of activities. I would have loved to make a quilt, time a half marathon, and paint a bedroom today- but even without those things, I had a very fulfilling and enriching day.
Also- it's not over yet! The night is young, and Ross doesn't have to get up early tomorrow!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
I think everyone could use a good Bedtime Boogy ever now and again.
Sunday, March 07, 2010
My camera finally kicked the bucket the night before the party. It hasn't been working right since our Portland trip, but I have been making it work alright until then. It finally refused to be coaxed, jerked, manipulated and tweaked into semi-working order (I haven't been able to zoom since July, and the flash either worked ALL the time or NOT AT ALL). I called on my sisters to do my photographic work for me, so I have pictures from 3 different sources. A lot of pictures. A LOT! I tried to narrow it down- but I have never claimed to be good at that ever. I broke up the post into a bunch of categories for your convenience. If you don't care, then don't look. If you do, then make sure you go into the older section to catch them all. They are cute, I promise. My girls are in them- so how could they not be? :)
We love you Emma! Happy Birthday Matey!
This was my favorite game. Ross beat me by 2 shots the first time, then I TOTALLY smoked him (by one shot) the second time. Sara watching the exciting Air Hockey game between Carrie and Nate. Carrie won. Then Ross and I played, and I won. By a lot. I am awesome like that.
Aunt Heather with Sara. Aunt Caulene with Emma.